|Gathering Practical Knowledge
To speed the learning of practical knowledge from others.
Knowledge and Skills Objectives
Introduction to Working With Others
Gather Practical Knowledge
- Discover the importance of learning from others efficiently
- Be able to explain the role of Working With Others skills in gathering practical
- Be able to explain what getting another's view is, why it is important,
and how it is achieved
- Be able to explain what clarifying and confirming is, when each is used,
and how each is accomplished
- Demonstrate getting another's view
- Be able to distinguish knowledge from information and define what practical
- Be able to explain what gathering practical knowledge is, why it is important, and when it is done
- Be able to identify the keys to gathering practical knowledge successfully
- Be able to describe the minimum elements of knowledge and information needed to do a task successfully
- Be able to explain how practical knowledge is gathered
- Be able to explain how practical knowledge is represented
- Be able to explain how practical knowledge is verified
- Demonstrate gathering practical knowledge from an expert
- Demonstrate representing practical knowledge
- Demonstrate verifying practical knowledge
- Demonstrate gathering practical knowledge to acquire a new learning
- Opening Training - prepares participants to work together in the
training and prepares the instructor to ensure that the learners' expectations
- Module 1: Overview - builds an image of what has hurt and helped
participants in learning from others and relates that image to what the course
teaches, why, and how it accomplishes its objectives.
- Module 2: Introduction to the Working With Others Skills - explains
the Working With Others skills, provides practice using them, and an understanding
of how these skills relate to gathering practical knowledge.
- Module 3: Distinguishing Knowledge From Information - teaches how
to recognize when one is acquiring knowledge versus information, the importance
of each type of content, and its use in learning.
- Module 4: Learning About Gathering Practical Knowledge - teaches
what practical knowledge is, why acquiring it is important, when and where
its use is most critical, and what elements of knowledge are essential to
learning a task.
- Module 5: Practicing Gathering Practical Knowledge - provides an
understanding of how one gathers, represents, and verifies practical knowledge
and exercises to build proficiency in doing these tasks.
- Module 6: Applying What You Learned - provides an opportunity to
apply the gathering practical knowledge skills to learning a performance important
to the participants.
- Closing Training - concludes the training, explores how learners
can strengthen their skills after training, and evaluates the course.
- Gathering Practical Knowledge Participant Coursebook - introduces
the course, explains the skills being taught, communicates the importance
of each skill, allows the participants to practice the skills, and stimulates
their thinking about how the skills may be applied in the real world.
- Course visuals and handouts - reinforce instructional points and
support the practice and application of the skills being taught.
- Gathering Practical Knowledge Card - provides a pocket-size reminder
of the elements of knowledge one must gather and how to acquire and represent
Transfer to Real-World Performance
The Gathering Practical Knowledge Card supports the transfer of learning
from training to other contexts where participants will learn new tasks. Also,
Module 6 includes a learning activity in which participates acquire knowledge
important to their roles thus providing a simulation to assist in supporting
the transfer of learning.
Vital Enterprises offers online support for participants in our courses to
assist them in using the skills they learn to produce business benefits. You
may access this assistance by clicking on the "Share/Learn"
link and selecting "Ask an Expert." This service allows you to post questions
you may have about using the skills you learned, get responses to your questions,
and benefit from the questions and answers previously shared by others.
We Train at Your Site
All our courses are offered at your site. This allows us to tailor our content
to your specific needs. If you have a group of people interested in taking this
course, contact us at Courses.Tell
- Who you are,
- How we may contact you,
- Which training you seek,
- For whom you are seeking the training,
- When and where, and
- What you hope it will accomplish.
We will respond to you by e-mail or phone, as you prefer.